Evening News and video, are they airing enough?
I was reading an article by Kelly McBride about how news stations cut video they are sent and how it can be misleading and misunderstood. She starts the article by giving the example of a cop in Dallas who ran over and killed a kid that was riding his bike on the street. The cop was responding to a call without lights or a siren and had no time to see the kid; the kid didn't see him until it was too late. Unfortunately for the cop four news stations took the dashboard camera video, which had been released to the public by the police chief, and took a small clip, different for each station, and aired it during the evening news. What these clips didn't show was how fast the entire situation happened and how nothing could have stopped it once it started.
Kelly's opinion in this situation is that news stations should post the video in its entirety online. Doing this would so viewers that the cop was driving too fast and the kid didn't see the cop until it was too late.
I agree with her in this. I know there have been some video clips that I have seen on the news that didn't paint the best picture of the truth. I would have liked to have the opportunity to see the entire video to know what truly happened. It is understandable that the entire video cannot be aired due to time constraints, but that does not mean that it should not be available for everyone to see.
No comments:
Post a Comment